Literacy is…the road to human progress and the means through which every man, woman and child can realize his or her full potential. -Kofi Annan
We are beginning our year long social studies unit of study, Friendships & Schools. Our K/1 students will explore the various school systems in our own community, as well as schools around the world. Students will investigate the impact of literacy on their self-development, how it impacts socio-economic levels, and overall well-being in their communities. Moreover, I hope that my little ones will come to deeply understand the power of literacy and books, and how being an informed citizen gives them the tools to make their community a better place.
1. How do systems at school help us become good friends and community members?
2. Why is literacy important?
3. What are the benefits of literacy?
4. How can literacy benefit one’s personal development?
5. How do literacy rates affect socio-economic levels in a community?
6. How does literacy impact the well-being of a community?
7. How do libraries support literacy?
To begin with, we brainstormed some of the systems at school and used them to create student made Alphabet Cards. They are posted on the wall as a literacy resource, as well as conversation starters as we delve into our unit of study, Friendships & Schools. I love the drawings, coloring and painting used to express their ideas. I’m truly excited about this project and I look forward to sharing our learnings as the year goes on.